Ubuntu is under attack

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Dec 20 21:07:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 03:33:23AM +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:

> Erm, Matthew, as far as I know, an out-of-the-box Ubuntu install runs cron
> jobs. Are you saying these jobs don't generate email? If so, I
> respectfully submit that you are wrong. Or are you saying that because we
> don't see them they don't exist?

Ok, let me rephrase that. An out of the box install /shouldn't/ be
generating mail. If it is, then I think we're doing something wrong :)
It's unacceptable for it to be generating anything important, because
unless a user is playing with the terminal then there's no way of them
finding out that that mail exists.

> I see. A very long thread appears on the users list, complaining about
> functionality, and the response is to stand on your dig. Is it remotely
> possible that some of the posts actually have some merit? Is it possible
> that the developers have actually got it wrong?

>From the point of view of removing an MTA by default? No, I think that's
the correct decision. The argument that there should be some way for
cron output to end up being given to the user is a much stronger one,
but I don't think just adding an MTA back is the right way of fixing
that.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org