bloated setup?

Scott angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com
Tue Dec 20 21:07:35 UTC 2005

Charles Malespin wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 10:20 +0530, (रेवंत) Revant Nandgaonkar wrote:
>> Also turn off the unnecessary start up services/daemons
>> from rcconf or bum.
>>
>> (bum will also tell you why are the services running for)
>>

> What are rcconf and bum?

apt-cache show rcconf
apt-cache show bum

> Where are they and how do I change them?
> Tried man for both and it didnt have an entry.

You don't have them installed (yet).  They are not installed by default

> Plus, I dont know which
> start up services or daemons to turn off cause I dont know which ones do
> what and if it might screw my system...

Take a look @ bum after installing it.  You're under no obligation to
make any changes. Therefore you won't "screw up your system" unless you
try. ;-)

Here's more info on bum.

http://www.marzocca.net/linux/bumdocs.html

--