Ubuntu is under attack (For a desktop, an MTA not required)

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Tue Dec 20 10:05:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 06:44:23AM +0100, Anders Karlsson wrote:

> For a desktop, an MTA is not required.

I use only 'desktops' and wouldnt't know a server if one
was standing before me, but:

1) I use mutt as MUA and thus need an MTA (postfix in my case)

2) I have a small home network and need to use 'aliases'
   (sender_canonical, etc) and I even sometimes want to specify the
   'helo'. I have never found out how to manipulate the headers
   with evolution/thunderbird and smtp. So even when using evolution
   I use it with the 'sendmail' option in combination with postfix.

Things are not black and white, some desktop users need shades of
gray. However I am quite content to apt-get postfix after install.
As long as it is available in the repositories it's OK.

> Give it a rest now eh?

Everybody certainly should as the tone and content of the
'discussion' is degenerating rapidly.

Alexander