ubuntu on homebuilt box

taeb taeb at netins.net
Mon Dec 19 23:02:49 UTC 2005

For various reasons I'm planning to build an Intel-based box on which I
plan to run only Linux.  My background is Macintosh, so the PC stuff is
all pretty new to me, and I have (at least) two questions I'd like to
get answered before I put in the order.

1. Can I run only Linux, or am I going to have to have a copy of Windows
in order to do some things -- such as update the BIOS?  I read on a
message board that sometimes the BIOS updates can only be done -- or the
files only created -- using Windows.  I don't know much about BIOS and
even less about updating it.  So, can I run a pure Linux system, or do I
need/want to have a copy of Windows?  I have no religious aversion to
Windows, but I really don't want to deal with yet another OS, the
updates, the virus problems, the expense, etc.  I'd like to concentrate
my efforts and budget toward Linux only and fall back on the Mac if I
need commercial software.

2. The optical drive recommended and that sounded good to me is the
Plextor PX-716SA.  Elsewhere, someone said that Xandros did not
recognize his SATA optical drive -- also a PX-716.  Is anyone using this
drive under Ubuntu?  Or -- in case no one is -- what optical drive do
you use that you would recommend and which, of course, works flawlessly
with Ubuntu?

I'm a first-time builder, and I'd like to minimize problems other than
myself in this process.

Many thanks for your help.  And for any other suggestions that you might
be inclined to offer.  :)

tonyB