Swap partition

Tobias Heinemann theine at nordita.dk
Mon Dec 19 22:51:43 UTC 2005

> I am new to ubuntu and linux os. I have created a swap partition(5 GB)
> while installing ubuntu for file exchange with windows. The problem is
> that I can not find that partition in linux moreover I have a drive
> called sda2(the one linux is installed on is sda1 I guess ??) but when I
> try to open that(sda2) I receive a message that I do not have permission
> to view files. Could you please help me on this.

I don't know what you already did with your swap partition, but the usual
steps are:

1. create the swap partition using fdisk or whatever

2. sudo mkswap /dev/sda2
(assuming that /dev/sda2 is the swap partition created in 1.)

3. add a line to /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda2        none            swap            sw              0 0

4. sudo swapon -a

If everything goes well, check whether your swap partition has been activated
with "sudo swapon -s"

Hope this helps,
Tobi