Swap partition

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Mon Dec 19 22:36:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 14:18, Vram wrote:
> > I am new to ubuntu and linux os. I have created a swap partition(5 GB)
> > while installing ubuntu for file exchange with windows. The problem is
> > that I can not find that partition in linux moreover I have a drive
> > called sda2(the one linux is installed on is sda1 I guess ??) but when I
> > try to open that(sda2) I receive a message that I do not have permission
> > to view files. Could you please help me on this.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance and regards.
>
> swapon -s

There's a misunderstanding here.  Swap partitions are not for
exchanging files with Windows, they are for internal operation
of Linux.  Your swap partition is used when you try to run
more programs than will fit into RAM.  It holds the overflow.

Frankly, I can't think of a way that "Just Works" to exchange
files between Linux and Windows on a dual-boot system.  I've
always bounced files off a server using FTP, NFS, or Samba.
You can mount the Windows C: drive in Samba but it doesn't
work very well.  You can create a FAT partition but you'll
lose long filenames.

Does anybody here have a solution for Umut?

--Mike Bird