Ubuntu is under attack

Graham gct3 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 18 15:10:25 UTC 2005

On Sunday 18 December 2005 13:55, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> I think we need a section in the Ubuntu Wiki. Here is what you should
> install, after the bare-bones install that you're provided on the CD.
> How about, HowToMakeUbuntuNotSuck.

Well, perhaps a loaded title, but not a bad idea, though why the CD
can't come with a bare-bones KDE setup as well defeats me.  Ubuntu must
be the only major distro not to do it.  Yes, I know you can do it by
installing kubuntu-desktop, but KDE is not a minor suite, and like
other distros, it should be at bootup as standard.

> Perhaps an expert mode in the installer would help too, that pulls in
> a lot of packages that Linux users with experience might want.

I'm not sure if its covered by the GPL, but Libranet has a built-in
application called Adminmenu, which does just this.  I'm not sure if
Libranet will continue but there are noises on the Libranet users list
about finding other financial backers, so perhaps Ubuntu/Kubuntu could
come together with Libranet to provide this.  As a long-time Libranet
user, I have found Adminmenu invaluable: it even helps you compile your
own kernel!

The problem is (as I understand it), Ubuntu does NOT provide an
interface with pure Debian packages.  Some work and others do not.  If
the system was compatible with 100% pure Debian packages, there would
be no problem with choice, and if Debian provided as good an installer
as Ubuntu, there would be no need for Ubuntu as a stand-alone distro.
We could all join forces around debian.org.

> Oh,
> wait, that's another option, and hence a choice. Can't have that. It
> might confuse people.

Well, Debian was founded on the basis of a standard that could be
applied to all packages (stable, testing, unstable).  There is already
choice: the Debian's site boasts 15490 packages in it repositories, so
all it takes is to make Ubuntu/Kubuntu accessible to all of those.
--

Graham