Ubuntu is under attack (longish)

Old Rocker old.rocker at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 09:09:05 UTC 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 04:08, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> D) "Ubuntu needs to accomodate the needs of its users within the
> stated goal of providing the simplicity of a one CD installation. If
> the plurality of its users use package X and the plurality of users
> do not use package Y, then package Y can safely be removed from the
> distro to make room for package X. Package Y will still be available
> to the main repository for installation, if desired."

How about this Eric?

I download Kubuntu because I prefer the KDE desktop, and also want to
run some Gnome applications, but not the whole of Gnome.  I go to the
repositories and find I cannot download the Gnome desktop without it
taking out KDE.  So I try to download individual packages, then find
some will install but others won't as the basic dependencies are not
present and won't be installed. (This is my experience).

So I add the Debian repositories to my apt-get sources.list and from
there I download Gnome packages that refuse to run under Kubuntu
because there is an incompatibility between the Debian and Ubuntu
versions. (Again my experience).

So I ask that the necessary changes be made in the content of the CD to
allow packages from both the major desktops to be installed.  You can
install Kubuntu packages from within Ubuntu, but I can't find any way
of installing Ubuntu packages from within Kubuntu.  Now if I can't
download packages and their dependencies, unless only those within the
Ubuntu repositories, Ubuntu is not keeping to the spirit of the Debian
system and is in danger of becoming a fork rather than contributing to
it.  It is also reducing my range of choice in the matter.

Mike Bird's very eloquent complaints about the MTAs is a case in point.
Somebody, somewhere, has decided that MTAs should be changed.  As
postfix et al were in Hoary, they were presumably part of the one-disc
distro that gave everybody the ESSENTIAL packages that reinforced
security.  Without any warning, these packages are not installed with
the Breezy CD, and for some leave a security hole.  I'm not sure if
these packages are in the Breezy repositories, but suppose for a moment
they are not, where are you to get them and be sure they work (remember
these are security packages)?  From Debian?  They MIGHT work properly,
but again they might not, and as Ubuntu is not 100% Debian compatible
at present, surely steps should be made to ensure that packages in the
Debian repositories work with Ubuntu?

If that doesn't happen, Ubuntu will continue its progress and become a
fork of Debian, which is the worst of all worlds.  So I am asking that
the install disk should include dependencies and packages to all both
Gnome and KDE to be downloaded, and to allow Debian packages to be
installed and run to make sure this DOES not happen.

--

Old Rocker