Dapper C Compiler

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Sun Dec 18 00:10:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:27, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed Dapper in VMware, but when trying to install VMware
> Tools, it states that I am missing a C Compiler. There are many things
> in Synaptic... what should I install to fix this?

Specifically it needs the same compiler as the kernel so it can create the
kernel modules for virtual network adapters etc.  Not sure about Dapper,
but Breezy's kernel was compiled with gcc-3.4 but the "build-essential"
package installs gcc-4.

If Dapper's kernel was compiled with gcc-3.4 then you'll need to do this:
1. sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4
2. export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.4
3. sudo vmware-config.pl
4. unset CC