<mail> command missing?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Dec 17 21:46:30 UTC 2005

David wrote:

> I can't see why postfix is a problem. If you don't need it, it sits there
> doing not very much. If you do need it, it's essential.

Postfix is _never_ essential. If you need a full-featured MTA, there are
plenty of options.

> I could just as easily say that I don't need gaim because it's not a
> function *I* use, or OO for that matter.

That's not at all the same.  It's more like saying I don't need gaim because
I use another instant messenger (don't ask me to give examples, because in
fact I don't use _any_ IM).

Postfix should NOT be a requirement because it stops anyone from installing
*ubuntu-desktop and using another MTA.  So, in the same vein, I'd approve
of a dependency that specified _either_ gaim or a virtual <IM-client> (I
rather doubt that there is a virtual package for IM-clients, but I trust
you get the point).
--
derek