Ubuntu Calendar: where is it?

Seth Hasani sepheebear at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 12:55:37 UTC 2005

<quote who="Thilo Six" on Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 03:42:31AM EST>

> Luca Manganelli schrieb am 16.12.2005 23:43:
> > I did an apt-get install ubuntu-calenadar, then went to Wallpaper
> > Preferences... i cannot find it in the combo box. Where is it?

I thought I was the only one that missed this after breezy. The short
answer. They're here:

> /usr/share/backgrounds/

The really, *really* unnecessarily long answer:

The pictures themselves are located in the same place
/usr/share/backgrounds, however the xml metadata files that tell
gnome-background-properties about these pictures, have changed places since
hoary.

They were located under /usr/share/gnome-wallpaper-properties/... they now
should be put in /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/... Since the
packages are so old, its unlikely they will ever be updated for such a minor
thing.

I noticed this after a clean install of breezy when I noticed I couldnt find
the cool brown nudie-pics... uh, I mean artistic backgrounds.

The following is COMPLETE OVERKILL, kinda like using a sledgehammer to crack
a peanut, but nonetheless I used this as an opportunity to learn a cool
utility, dpkg-divert, allowing me to move files in a way so that dpkg would
still track where they are.

[[ looong one-line command ]]

dpkg-divert --divert
/usr/share/gnome-background-properties/ubuntu-calendar-march.xml --rename
/usr/share/gnome-wallpaper-properties/ubuntu-calendar-march.xml

[[ or small shell script, editable and nifty for other stuff ]]

#!/bin/bash
OLDBGDIR=/usr/share/gnome-wallpaper-properties
NEWBGDIR=/usr/share/gnome-background-properties

for file in `ls $OLDBGDIR`; do
    sudo dpkg-divert --divert $NEWBGDIR/$file --rename $OLDBGDIR/$file;
done

Check that the changes were made successfully by using "dpkg-divert --list"

Seth