Ubuntu and featherlinux syslinux failure

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Sat Dec 17 07:27:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 20:42 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> I'm trying to put featherlinux on my 1gig USB key.  I've DLed and
> unzipped the zip to my key, loaded Ubuntu's syslinux 2.11-0.1ubuntu4
> and run
> <sudo syslinux /dev/sda1>
> which fails with:
>
> sh: mcopy: command not found
> syslinux: failed to create ldlinux.sys
>
> Searching with Synaptic reveals no mcopy, I suppose it's supposed to be
> included in syslinux?
mcopy is in mtools, which appears in the "Recommends" section for
syslunux:
$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/mcopy
mtools: /usr/bin/mcopy

If syslinux needs mcopy, then it should have mtools as a "depends"
entry,  rather than a "Recommends" entry.
]
>  At this point I'm stumped.  Should I remove
> syslinux and install from source?  An other source than Ubuntu's?
> Must I first delete all my other files on the USB key, format and
> re-install?

Just put your ubuntu CD into the drive, then do
  sudo apt-get install mtools

(Note that mtools may not be included on your CD, and that means that it
will be downloaded from your preferred archive).

Tim