dns configuration help desperately needed

MrKnisely mrknisely at mrknisely.is-a-geek.org
Sat Dec 17 05:09:03 UTC 2005

Wow, quite a diagram.  There are a few things I don't get.

First off, at what point does your network devide into 192.168.123.x and
192.168.2.x ?  Is the Gigafast doing NAT for both network?

Also, can the .2 network talk to the .123 network without going through
a firewall/nat situation?  If yes, the issue is simple.

You'll just set Eve up with your DNS zones and hosts.  Then have Eve
forward out to the Preferred and Alternate provided by the ISP.  I like
to run two DNS servers in my networks though... So I'd also run it on
adam and just mirror your zones.  That way, if one goes away, you can
always cound on the other to serve your network.

If the two networks can not talk directly, then we'll need to dig into
some port forwarding or dns proxy via your firewall/nat device.  It
shouldn't be to bad to set up.

As for DNS config, vim is my tool of choice.  I used webmin when I was
first learning and though it did a great job with bind.  If bind is your
DNS server of choice, check the man pages for examples, it is very well
documented.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike K.