Problems with CompactFlash reader on Thinkpad x31

rick at rickandpatty.com rick at rickandpatty.com
Wed Dec 14 22:53:05 UTC 2005

> If I
> reinsert the card (or a different card) a second time, the device is
> recognized, and mounted, and the icon shows up for a fraction of a second,
> but then the card is instantly unmounted again.

This is not a Thinkpad-specific problem - it happens to me on Thinkpads
and my JVC mininote - basically on any laptop I've tried with any CF<->PC
Card adapter, including the built-in ones on the X22 and X20.

Hal apparently thinks that you want to unmount the card as soon as it is
mounted.

Solution/workaround:

Edit the script /etc/dev.d/block/hal-unmount.dev
Add "exit 0" right after the "#!/bin/sh" line, so it looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

exit 0

# sanity check. DEVNAME should start with a /
[ "$DEVNAME" != "${DEVNAME#/}" ] || exit 0

[... and so on...]

This disables the script that "helpfully" unmounts your flash card as soon
as it gets mounted.  The only side effect is that you must anually unmount
USB devices before remonving them, but I always do that anyway.

--Rick
http://rickandpatty.com