Connecting to Internet - again

roach robert_spencer at mighty.co.za
Wed Dec 14 21:16:10 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:51, Bill Cairns wrote:
<...>
> Also my thanks to Steve for the information on how to configure Firefox.
> My speed of browsing is now as good as one can expect from a slowish
> modem and line. There are certainly a lot of "undocumented" (I am sure
> they are documented somewhere!) configuration features in Firefox.

I got a major speed boost when I went over to wvdial and started using AT
initialisation strings. Are you using any with your modem and can you please
tell me which ISP you are using.

> My only disappointment if that Gnome-ppp simply does not recognise my
> modem. I have no idea why.

Is /dev/modem symlinked to your modems serial port? Some ppp rappers expect
it.

All the best.

--
Robert "roach" Spencer