<mail> command missing?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Dec 14 07:37:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:23:39 -0800
Mike Bird <mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 03:03, David wrote:
> > I've just done my second fresh install of Breezy (both for friends).
> > Apparently the "mail" unix command is missing! These seems really odd.
> > Have I missed something obvious?
> >
> > It's not available from apt and I thought it was a basic shell command.
> >
> > It's still there on two other machines that I upgraded from Hoary.
> > /usr/bin/mail
>
> You'll need to install the mailx package.  It was required by
> ubuntu-base in Hoary but dropped for Breezy.  I have no idea why.
>
> --Mike Bird

I noticed this too. I assume it's part of the "no servers by default"
policy - if anyone knows whether that's right, please enlighten us.

Looking at the requirements of mailx we see that that it needs a MTA
installed ( e.g. postfix) Since I like to get emails from root telling me
what , for example, cron daily might have found amiss, i went ahead and
installed it, including postfix.

$ apt-cache depends mailx
mailx
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: liblockfile1
 |Depends: postfix
  Depends: <mail-transport-agent>
    courier-mta
    esmtp-run
    exim
    exim4-daemon-light
    masqmail
    nullmailer
    sendmail-bin
    smail
    ssmtp
    xmail
    zmailer
    exim4-daemon-heavy
    hula-manager
    postfix
  Depends: base-files
  Conflicts: <suidmanager>

I found this decision by Ubuntu a bit annoying, but I guess it's something
only geeks and sysadmins etc need or know about ;-)

Peter

Linux User #343161