HP OfficeJet 7210 & hplip/hpoj

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 12 07:38:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:02:55 +1100, Steven Heimann wrote:

> I have upgraded to 5.10 which seems to default to hplip for hp printers
> and scanners.
>
> I have a network attached Officejet 7210.
>
> I can't seem to fathom how to get hplip to work with a network attached
> printer/scanner so have reverted to hpoj.  However, hpoj seems now to be
> very unreliable for scanning with many time outs / failure to connects
> etc.
>
> Does hplip work with a network attached device and has anyone found any
> instructions on how to get it working?
>
> Regards
> Steven

This is how I got my HP DeskJet 5850 with IP 10.0.0.160 working:

1. Run as user the command "hp-makeuri 10.0.0.160", resulting in the
output: "hp:/net/deskjet_5800?ip=10.0.0.160" (note the single slash).

2. Now install the printer, using System/Administration/Printing menu, as
a CUPS (IPP) printer with this URI, accepting the proposed driver from the
HPLIP brand.

You would have to use your own printer network address.

--
H.A.J. Koster
"Behavioral axioms are right, but agents make mistakes..."