ssh banner

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Mon Dec 12 03:45:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 02:56 +0000, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to display a customised (and animated) banner using
> "figlet" when a user logs into a machine using ssh. (I am not talking
> about to modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config for this banner.)

You will have to modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config, one time only, to enable
the "banner" option.  If you change "#Banner /etc/issue.net" to
"Banner /etc/issue.ssh", then restart sshd, you can then create and
maintain the banner file using figlet or any other tools.  If the file
is created so that you can write it as yourself, then you won't need to
use sudo;)

NOTE:  It is possible that the system updates /etc/issue.net at times,
which is why I suggest that you specify your own custom file.

> any help on this?

Hope this helps,

Tim