Windows media 9 video files in ubuntu

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Sun Dec 11 23:29:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 02:39, Tristan Wibberley wrote:
> Luca Manganelli wrote:
> > On 12/11/05, Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன்
> >
> > <sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Same problem here. VLC refuses to play it. While mplayer plays it with
> >>garbled video. I read somewhere that the latest version of VLC supports
> >>WM9, but it will be sometime before its available through synaptic. If
> >>someone gets this working please let us know.
> >
> > It will work in next release of VLC.
>
> Do you know if it will work on AMD64?

No. 32bit codecs will work on AMD64[1] unless you install the 32bit player.
ie,
64bit mplayer/vlc/xine + 32bit codecs = no dice.
32bit mplayer/vlc/xine + 32bit codecs = Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Same goes for browser plug-ins.  I have a 32bit compiled Firefox floating
around for a few sites that need certain plug-ins that wont run in my other
64bit browsers (like streaming video, flash etc)

[1] When I say "AMD64" I'm not referring to the hardware, but rather the
64bit kernel and associated libraries and applications.  You can always
install the 32bit (i386) version of [K]Ubuntu and there's no problems - you
have a 32bit OS running on 64bit hardware (this is how Windows does it -
WinXP is *NOT* a 64bit OS)....but if you're going to do that, why did you
fork out the extra $$$ for 64bit hardware in the first place?

HTH,

James
--
Debit card <--> Bad Credit