Windows media 9 video files in ubuntu

Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன் sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 14:36:31 UTC 2005

Luca Manganelli wrote:
> On 12/11/05, Giorgos <pinkisntwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have many such files and I managed to get them to work using mplayer
>>(from synaptic) and the win32 codecs downloaded from the mplayer
>>website. They do play, but not very well, it takes lots of resources and
>>there is some garbling going on. Anyone has any experience?
>

> I had problems with wm9 DRM ...

Same problem here. VLC refuses to play it. While mplayer plays it with
garbled video. I read somewhere that the latest version of VLC supports
WM9, but it will be sometime before its available through synaptic. If
someone gets this working please let us know.

Cheers,
  - Saru
Sarangan Thuraisingham
ECS, University of Southampton, UK