samba swat login problem

Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன் sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 11:41:44 UTC 2005

dave s wrote:
> Hello,

[...]
> I get an authorisation dialogue for swat at localhost requesting a username &
> password.
>
> Having tried my login details (and failing) I googled and found smbpasswd
>
> From root I tried
> smbpasswd -a dave
>
> from dave I tried
> smbpasswd
>
> and set up my swat password. but no matter what I try I keep getting
> authentication failure.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what i am doing wrong ?
>
> Cheers
> Dave

May be you should mess about with your /etc/samba/smb.conf. Like always
make a backup copy. I've uncommented these options in my smb.conf:
  security = user
  guest account = nobody

In one you shares try setting guest ok and browseable like this:
  [USB_Video]
     comment = Video Folder on USBHD
     path = /media/USB_HD/Video
     guest ok = yes