Howto reset a Gnome user profile??

Seth Hasani sepheebear at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 08:15:03 UTC 2005

<quote who="Senectus ." on Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 10:30:06AM EST>

> It looks like I've broken my Gnome profile and now I can't log into
> gnome.. what do i need to delete in my profile to "reset Gnome" back
> to what it would be by default (not including firefox etc)

I've had to do this on my own machine more times than I care to admit. Check
out the contents of .gconf/ .gnome/ .gnome2/ .gnome2_private/ .gnomerc
.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2

I usually just drop to a shell then do:

    mkdir oldconfig
    mv .g* oldconfig/
    rm .esd_auth
    rm .ICEauthority
    rm .Xauthority

Then log back into gnome and that usually takes care of things. The only
thing that gets really b0rked when I do this procedure is my evolution
profile. Usual disclaimer, be careful when deleting stuff.

Seth