ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 94

Bill Cairns CairnsWW at eskom.co.za
Thu Dec 8 09:47:07 UTC 2005

NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom Holdings Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE

which can be viewed at http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice

Bill Cairns wrote:

> My problem is that, although I can now configure the modem through pppconfig and can connect by means of pon, Firefox does not recognise that I am connected. I can see that I am connected by looking at the modem (and I heard it connect!) but Firefox just tells me that the url is not available ("www.ubuntu.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again" - the same message I get when I am not connected. If I connect the other way, I have no problem).
>
> Is this something to do with this not being a default route? Should I add "defaultroute" to the script file?
>
> Bill

It could also be that you do not have the right DNS entries. If you
happen to know the actual IP address of any website, you can type that
in Firefox, and if it *does* connect, then you just have a problem with
DNS lookup.

HTH.

-Steve.
--

No - it is a false (or extremely misleading!) error message. I have no trouble connecting to any URL once I have connected through the "standard" way of System > Administration > Networking.