Alsaconf

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Dec 8 02:45:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:14:35 +0200
Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a newcommer to the Ubuntu distro, not to GNU/Linux.
>
> I am having trouble with setting up my sound card - a SiS SI7012 OnBoard.
>
> I can't find alsaconf anywhere in the sources  provided by the
> installation.  I don't want to break anything  by downloading the source
> and conpiling it.
> My sound works - I can hear events but sound in games dosn't work.
>
> Any pointers?

My understanding is that alsaconf has been removed from the distro and is
deprecated. I don't know the reasons, but a "sound guru" told me on IRC
that " alsaconf causes more problems than it solves" ...

I have the same sound card as you. I doubt that your problem is related to
the sound card itself - I have turned off system sounds, as they appear to
interfere with apps that use OSS (many games do).

For example, I get no sound with Frozen-Bubble or Pingus unless I turn off
system sounds (event sounds). The same applies to the Audacity sound
editor and a few others. I don't particularly like hearing beeps and bells
when I click things so this is no great loss for me - your mileage may
vary  :-)

Killing esd can help - but I find that isn't necessary. I just have to be
sure no other sound apps are running when I fire up one of these
recalcitrant apps ;-)

Hope this helps, etc

Peter
 --