Matrox G450 Dual Head

Tom Marshall tommy at home.tig-grr.com
Thu Dec 8 00:49:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 04:40:54PM -0800, Tom Marshall wrote:
> > The comand works, I go through the configuration, but when restarting I
> > got the message that the x-server fails to start.
>
> I have personally never used a PCI graphics card in a machine with an
> onboard (presumedly AGP?) display adapter, nor have I ever used DVI output
> on a Matrox card (I'm sure it's nicer than d-sub though).  You might find
> clues as to why the X server is failing to start in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. and
> it might be helpful to post your current xorg.conf.  My next guesses are to
> verify that the BIOS is set to use the PCI adapter first and to specify the
> PCI bus for the adapter in the xorg.conf Device section, but I'm really just
> shooting in the dark here.

Oh yes, and I seem to recall that the Matrox binary driver (mga_hal) is
required to enable the DVI output.  But as I said, I've never used it, and
others will surely have more definitive answers.

--
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but
rather when there is nothing left to take away.