upgrading kernel in VMware Virtual machine of dapper kills the VM

matt nicholson sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Wed Dec 7 17:50:08 UTC 2005

Not sure which mailing list to post this to so going to both users and
devel.

I have dapper running in a VM on VMware 5.5, breezy as a host. All of
the recent Dapper upgrades have gone quite nice thus far, with one
exception. When performing the upgrade of linux-image-386(2.6.12.16 to
2.6.15.4) and linux-restricted-modules-386(2.6.12.16 to 2.6.15.4), the
VM dies. By this i mean that, upon reboot, Grub comes up, the system
starts to boot (the new "handdrawn" usplash comes up), and it gets as
far a "Mounting the root file system" After a few seconds here, I get
dropped to a console saying:
  Alert! /dev/sda1/ does not exist. Dropping you to a shell!

however, i do not get dropped to a shell and the VM just sits there,
dead.

Luckily I make snap shots for just this purpose and can get back to
right before the upgrade in seconds. I have confirmed that its only
these 2 packages that cause this.

Not being a kernel "expert", or even a "the way ubuntu boots" expert, I
am sort of stuck. Its obvious to me either the VM SCSI device is not
being detected, or, if it is, its not being used at all. With not shell
do goto i cannot diagnose the problem further.

Since dapper is a developemt work, and I'm running this in a VM, this
is no big deal for me. I can just ignore that update for a while. I was
jsut wondering if anyone else had the same problem/a fix/an answer.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Matt Nicholson
sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
sjoeboo.com