Connecting to the Internet

Hodgins Family ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Wed Dec 7 00:42:25 UTC 2005

Good afternoon, Asif!

>Hi Rob and everyone else who replied,
>
>Shamefully, I do not know _how_ to connect to the Internet? :)  What
>should I do to connect my PC to the Internet?  Only after that I can
>download all the stuff you have mentioned! :)

My apologies. I assumed (in error) that you had a non-dial up account with
an ISP and that you had access to an Internet computer.

I have never done an installation of Ubuntu using a dial-up service
provider. Groping in the dark here.

>  I mean I don't know how
>to create a dial-up internet connection and how to use it from a
>normal user account other than root.

So you CAN get on the internet as root but not as a user? If so, open your
"users and groups" application. (It is in one of the drop down menus).
Getting permission to use the dial up as a user would be a simple case of
adding your username to the relelvant "group".

Hope this (sort of) helps. Wish I could help more.

Rob