how do you network two Ubuntu computers with a crossover cable?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 6 23:48:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:12:04 +0000
Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:

> The question now is, how do you do anything more than just ping? I have set
> each of the computers to share the users home directory with NFS, but all I
> get when I open up Places->Networks is that it asks me for a whole bunch of
> passwords in succession before finally leaving me with the usual empty
> Windows network.

For setting up NFS I found this howto useful:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/NFS-HOWTO/

NFS mounts won't appear under Places-Network ( I find this unintuitive,
too) They will appear in Places - Computer, and an icon will appear under
Computer in the Places menu when they are mounted. You will also get
an icon on the Gnome desktop when the share is mounted. You can mount from
the Computer"place", and unmount from a right click on the icon, or from
the Computer place in Nautilus.

I can't help  with Samba, as I've only played with it,, and decided NFS
was better for my needs on a simple small network with only Linux
machines.

Peter

--

Linux User #343161