Connecting to the Internet

Chris Peterman c.peterman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:35:22 UTC 2005

By default no services (Things like HTTP Servers, FTP Servers, SSH
Servers, etc) are installed by default, thus no ports are listening in a
default Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu install. To see for yourself open a
terminal and run "netstat -l" and look at the top (You'll have to Shift
+PageUp a couple times). If there are things called
localhost at localdomain listening its okay (these are listening on what is
called the Local Loopback device, which is basically the computer
listening to itself).

In short unless you install a server, none will be listening :P

~ Chris Peterman