Ubuntu Live and sshd

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Tue Dec 6 22:43:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 21:30 +0000, David Hart wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:28:28PM -0500, Al Gordon wrote:
> > On 12/6/05, Mario Splivalo <mario.splivalo at mobart.hr> wrote:
> > > Ubuntu Live doesn't come with sshd? Can that be fixed?
> >
> > sudo apt-get install openssh-server
> >
> > It'll only work until you reboot, however.
>
> Eh!?  One of the funny quirks with Debian(/Ubuntu) (given Debian's
> traditional emphasis on security) is that most servers start
> immediately from install very often without giving you the chance to
> fully configure them (and they continue after a reboot).
>
> It's only something I became fully aware of when I went from Debian
> to Gentoo and back? to Ubuntu.
>
> Gentoo _never_ starts a server after installation until you've told
> it explicitly to do so.  Much better IMO.
>
> --
> David Hart <ubuntu at tonix.org>

It is a difference in philosophy.

Gentoo was a roll your own distribution ..

In Ubuntu they do thing for you....And this is not neither good or bad
it is just the way it is....   You buy into that went you purchase the
product.

Being Linux you  are free to change all that...  Turn stuff on... Turn
stuff off....

My $0.02

Vram