Ubuntu's PPC Live CD: can I see DivX/MPEG4 movies and MP3 audio?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 6 12:21:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:44:53 +0200
Giorgos <pinkisntwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 09:05 +0100, Luca Manganelli wrote:
> > With Ubuntu's PPC Live CD, can I see DivX/MPEG4 movies and MP3 audio?
> >
> > If not, how can I do it?
> >
> > --
> > "An algorithm must be seen to be believed."
> >    -- Donald Knuth, in "Fundamental Algorithms"
> >                                http://www.trapanator.com/blog
> >

> You need to install some packages. Check
> http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#codecs

This is an example of why recommending ubuntuguide is *no longer a good
idea*. First of all, to install the recommended codecs you would need to
read

 http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#extrarepositories

Which 1) Refers to hoary and not breezy
           2) Won't work with ppc since it includes w32codecs
           3) includes outdated backports URLs

Unfortunately using PPC precludes using w32codecs.

Mp3 playback can be
easily implemented with , for example, beep-media-player or xmms, and most
of the gstreamer packages are available through the universe and
multiverse repos  - see

https://wiki.unbuntu.com/RestrictedFormats

For mp3 playback using totem or rhythmbox, the gstreamer0.8-mad package is
the one that needs to be installed. If you install totem-xine and/or vlc,
most but not all videos will be playable (for instance, windows media 9
will not play)

Peter

--

Linux User #343161