[Breezy] Backups to USB Disk

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Dec 6 08:48:08 UTC 2005

I agree with David,  I'm using unision (using the GUI, not command line)
to keep 9Gb of data on my laptop in sync with my USB HDD.

The initial copy took some time (Unision basically copying 9gb of data
across), but now it takes a minute to launch Unison and perform the
sync.  I think the advantage doing it manually is YOU are in control
and not the script;  for example,  if you delete a file that is no
longer required from your USB stick, how will the script know if this
was intended or not?  depending on how you write the script it may
delete the file from the PC as well, or write it back to the USB Stick
- Both of these could be right depending on the circumstances (i.e. did
you mean to delete it or not).

I'd be careful setting up automation to keep your files in sync;  for
the minute it takes for unison (it will give you options to keep,
delete etc before performing operations) to sync the files I'd say it
was worth avoiding any mishap with your data!

Mark.

--
markr