Modem Problems

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:52:33 UTC 2005

Gnome PPP is real easy to set up, and you won't need root privileges to
run it. I think it has a "timeout after...<number of seconds>... of
inactivity" as well.

I would also suggest installing Firestarter or some other firewall (or
even just an iptables script). Firestarter is very user-friendly.

Also, if you activate the modem through the Network Admin panel, and
don't de-activate before rebooting, the next time you boot up, it
remembers the last state, so it will connect automatically. Just FYI...
I found this out myself a while ago!

Also also :-) ... for "pon" to work properly, there a few config files
you need to edit, for the connection (phone number, port) as well as for
the authentication (user/password). I am not on my Ubuntu machine right
now... I would have to look these up tonight if you want. However if you
get Gnome PPP, you don't need to do any of this.

Hope that helps.

-Steve.