new to linux/Ubuntu/shell scripting . . .

Rachael C. amaroq3 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 08:52:29 UTC 2005

Ok, am computer science major and all my programming class have dealt
with java, but I have been given the assignment of writing a shell
script in Linux.  We haven't talked about Linux, grep, or shell scrips
in class so this is a " do some research, try it and see what you get"
kind of thing.

For this assignment I installed Ubuntu (onto a spare hard drive I had)
and have found what I want to put into my little shell script.  I used
a text editor in Ubuntu and saved the file as a .sh.  Now my problem
is trying to run it so as to test it.  based on what I have found
online, I opened Konsole and can do some commands, but still can't get
the darn thing to run.  I have the file I want to run on my desktop,
and put it in its own folder (has two .txt files, that it will use, in
the folder with it).  I can type "ls" and see the folders desktop and
workspace, but I can't seem to get into desktop to run the program.  I
have tried different ways of typing the command to go into that folder
(used this to help me:
http://www.axisoftime.com/linux/docs/new2unix.html#sect2.3.1), but
have still no luck with it yet.

Can someone give me some assistance with this? I would really appreciate it. :)

Thanks in advance,
Rachael