Totem error message

Albert albertwagner at cox.net
Sun Dec 4 00:30:42 UTC 2005

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 11:46:28 -0600
> Albert <albertwagner at cox.net> wrote:
>
>># apt-get install gstreamer0.8-plugins
>>Reading package lists... Done
>>Building dependency tree... Done
>>Package gstreamer0.8-plugins is not available, but is referred to by
>>another package.
>>This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>>is only available from another source
>>E: Package gstreamer0.8-plugins has no installation candidate
>

> $ apt-cache policy gstreamer0.8-plugins
> gstreamer0.8-plugins:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 0.8.11-0ubuntu5
>   Version table:
>      0.8.11-0ubuntu5 0
>         500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/universe Packages
>
> So it's in the universe repository. I think you need to uncomment the
> "universe" lines in your /etc/apt/sources.liat.
>
> Incidentally, I haven't used the "plf" sources personally, but I suspect
> it might be a good idea to disable them once you have what you need from
> them, to avoid unexpected installations when you run an upgrade.

Thank you, Peter.  That got me part way through. However, although these
two commands ran:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-plugins

These three failed:

gstreamer0.8-plugins-multiverse gstreamer0.8-ffmpeg
sudo apt-get w32codecs
sudo apt-get libdvdcss2

# ~
# gstreamer0.8-plugins-multiverse gstreamer0.8-ffmpeg
bash: gstreamer0.8-plugins-multiverse: command not found
# ~
# apt-get w32codecs
E: Invalid operation w32codecs
# ~
# apt-get libdvdcss2
E: Invalid operation libdvdcss2

I didn't even try the last:
gst-register-0.8

I have no idea if the first two successes have any utility without the
remaining four.