Looking for a map to build my server

Geoff-lists lists at userdox.com
Sat Dec 3 10:59:33 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Its time to build my server, but I'm still *very* new at this so I'm
hoping to create a map I can follow.  Any pointers and links to howtos
or other resources gratefully accepted.  This message might be a bit
long....

What I've Got
==================
Athlon 1GHz
768 M RAM
ASUS A7v MoBo (onboard Promise controller)
4G IDE
2G IDE
80G ATA/100
120G ATA/100
DVD R/W
CD-ROM
Billion 7500G wireless router modem

What I Want To Do
==================
1.  I'd like to have two Subversion repositories, one accessible to my
LAN only, and one accessible to the world (password protected) over my
DSL connection.  They are for different projects.

2.  When I rebuild my now very dated website I would like to be able to
extend it to my own server.  It is currently hosted by a third party and
keeping part of the site on my own server saves me from paying more
hosting costs.  I understand that it will be slower to access data on my
server than from my hosting company, but I can live with that.

3.  Run a series of applications on the server so I can access them from
any computer at home.  For example, I would like to have GnuCash running
on the server so I can access accounting services from my desktop in my
office or my laptop when my wife is on the desktop.

4.  Samba sharing.  The desktop and laptop are both dual boot systems
and some data is used from all clients.

5.  Remote access to the server from anywhere.  I'd like to be able to
login to my server from work, or when I'm visiting friends/family etc.
I know there will be security issues but I don't know what they will be.

6.  FTP.  I would like to have a password only accessible FTP area so
friends/family can get/put files on the server.

7.  A whole lot more, but this is probably a good start.

What I've Done So Far
=========================
I installed Breezy as a server on the 4G drive.  My basic plan is to use
the 80G and 120G drives for data and the 4G and 2G drives for the OS.
I'm working on the assumption that if the old 4G & 2G drives die I'll
still be able to get my data after installing linux on a new drive.

All client machines are running wireless connections only.  I haven't
set up networking on the server yet as I intend to move the machine and
use ethernet over cat5 to the router.  I can do all the work from its
final location but it gets a bit cold downstairs...

Questions I Already Need Answered

1.  When I installed Breezy on the 4G drive I just let the install
package delete everything and install.  The other drives have been in a
variety of machines and have a variety of file systems on them (NTFS,
FAT32, FAT16, etc).  How do I prepare them for use?  I don't even know
how to format, partition, or mount them.

Thanks for all your help,

Geoff