OT- Games, gamers, and gaming machines

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Fri Dec 2 16:15:50 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 02.12.2005, 10:09 -0500 schrieb Al Gordon:
> On 12/2/05, ulrich steffens <ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org> wrote:
> > though there is not much info about the ps3 to find, sony said you could
> > upgrade the ps3 with a harddisk and this hdd would have linux on it.
> > so a ps3 with keyboard, mouse AND linux could be a nice alternative to a
> > pc, i think. but lets wait and see whats actually gonna happen.
>
> Since we're being off-topic and all:  I don't think I'm going to buy
> anything from Sony again, after their recent spyware fiasco.  The PS3
> might have Linux under the hood, or a magic genie - it'd make no
> difference to me.
>
> Now, stepping off of *that* particular soap box -- why whould it
> matter that it runs Linux?  It's an appliance - it's designed for
> gaming, not for word processing or to be a file server.  And, if it's
> going to be plugged into a TV instead of a computer monitor, it's
> going to be crap as a PC, unless you like working at incredibly low
> screen resolutions.
>
> (Apologies in advance if my tone seems adversarial - I don't really mean it to.)
>
> --
>
>   -- AL --

hi al,
no problem at all :)
i also read about that spywarethingy which was really surprising to see
how reckless the industry is. (hope this sentence makes any sense :)
BUT the interesting part of the ps3 is that sony states it wont be just
a gaming console rather than a multimedia/whatever console. so if they
choose linux to run on it, i think they can't do any mumbo jumbo to
linux because of the license. and as i said, a console thats loaded with
such specs (cell processors and all) this _might_ be an interesting
option. cause if they provide linux for it, i believe they also must
release their sources, so i think an ubuntu compiled for a ps3 wouldn't
be just daydreaming. or am i completely wrong in this?

ulrich
--
ulrich steffens
ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org