Firefox slow on switching tabs

Frank McCormick fmccormick at videotron.ca
Fri Dec 2 14:04:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 06:48:52 -0600
Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/1/05, Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca> wrote:
> >
> >   I may have done something stupid (it's happened before) but I dl'ed
> > 1.5 from the Fox servers last night, untarred it in my home directory,
> > and it runs like a champion. Is there any reason NOT to do this?
>

> The only reason(s) not to do it have to do with the package management. That
> package is no longer being managed by apt, so when you update Ubuntu it will
> not get upgraded and/or the  standard Ubuntu Firefox package will (or won't,
> if you removed it) get updated and you won't be using whatever security
> patches are applied. You're now running an "official" Mozilla version,
> whereas before you were running the Ubuntu packaged version (which has some
> differences from the official).
>
> You could learn how to make your own .deb package from the tarball, then you
> can install it using dpkg -i package_name.deb -- that way when it comes time
> to update it, the removal would happen through your normal software update
> tool (synaptic, apt-get, the Ubuntu update utility, whatever).
>
> The other advantage to learning to make your own package is if you do that,
> then learn more about it and then you could be yet another person helping to
> keep Ubuntu updated for everyone!

	Well I realized that when I installed it. But at that point I
was simply interested in trying it out to see if there were
differences, whether it seemed faster or slower etc. The "old" version
is still on my system.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to make a .deb package from
the tarball ? If not I'll have a look at the Wiki.

Cheers

Frank