Rhythmbox plays MP3s badly, then freezes.

neil woolford lists at neilwoolford.plus.com
Thu Dec 1 21:48:53 UTC 2005

I don't know how long this problem has existed on my system, as almost
all the music I have on the hard drive is in ogg format.  However there
are a few snatches of MP3, and now when I try to play them, the sound is
'choppy', as though there are tiny rewinds two or three times a second,
and the application freezes at the end of playing the track.  I haven't
found any error messages in the general logs, nor does running from
console (no options) result in any error messages.

The MP3 files themselves are OK, as I am able to play them in Totem.
This also reassures me that I have the codecs still installed.

Any suggestions?

Neil