Has Ubuntu replaced Windows on your box?

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Dec 1 18:49:09 UTC 2005

Dr W Hunter Blair Wrote:
> > It's weird though... after using Ubuntu for a while, you lose a lot

> > of

> > the curiosity for other distros... because Ubuntu is so stable, works
>

> > well and has awesome community support.

> So true. I have been using Ubuntu for a year with no thought to try

> another distro

> I have windows dual boot on my laptop for daughter's game. Breezy on
> one

> drive and Dapper on the other on my desktop. The kids actually prefer

> linux and only use windows when the cannot avoid it --- getting rarer

> and rarer

> Hunter

Well, actually, Fedora Core 1 replaced Windows on all my boxes when FC1
test 1 was released back in 2003. Since then I have gone through 11
distros because each new one was better than the previous one. I am on
Ubuntu 5.10 now and I am simply amazed at its speed and stability
(apt-get blows yum and urpmi away). I even *tried* to break Ubuntu 5.10
through normal usage and couldn't - I click on everything, used every
app, installed almost everything from the repos, etc. I even installed
some .deb packages outside of apt-get/synaptic and it caused breakage,
but apt-get/synaptic found the broken packages and fixed them the next
time I ran synaptic. How cool is that?!

Ubuntu 5.10 is amazing and I am a very happy camper. The Ubuntu devs
did an outstanding job with this awesome distro :)

--
ardchoille