Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Thu Dec 1 02:16:20 UTC 2005

On Thursday 01 December 2005 12:28, DC Parris wrote:
> This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
> have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
> replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
> need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
> have completely replaced Windows.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.
> Don

All my desktop machines use Ubuntu (Kubuntu actually):
Home Systems:
frodo        - AMD64 Kubuntu Breezy
highlander   - Ubuntu Breezy server (firewall)
arachnid     - Ubuntu Breezy server (web + DNS server)
ninja        - Ubuntu Breezy server (Mail)
mojo         - Ubuntu Breezy server (NFS+Samba + DHCP + Squid + MySQL +...)

Work Systems:
gandalf     - Intel Centrino Laptop (HP NC6230) Kubuntu Breezy
4 x servers - Ubuntu Breezy servers
              (squid proxy, mail filter x 2, DNS server)

My wife uses WinXP but accesses her stuff via Samba.  So As far as I'm
concerned, Windows is a vague memory of a bygone era, although I still
support it via Samba on my LAN :P

BTW - my squid proxy and mail filters at work both talk to the Winders
(in)Active Directory to authenticate users (squid) and determine if an e-mail
recipient actually exists on the domain (mail filters).

Cheers,

James
--
: is not an identifier