configuring PCMCIA Wireless card Ubuntu 5.04

David david at kenpro.com.au
Wed Aug 31 13:57:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 09:48:19AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> David wrote:
>
> > For reasons I could never figure out, it turned out that I needed to
> > activate ethernet before wireless would work. I have no idea why, and I
> > don't actually ever use the ethernet.
>
> That's why.  You _do_ use the ethernet.  802.11 (wifi) is merely a protocol
> for using ethernet (802.3) over wireless.  You can't have wifi until you
> have ethernet.
> --
> derek

Then that makes perfect sense. But it would seem to be make sense for
activating a wireless connection to automatically activate ethernet
networking without having to explicitly do it, wouldn't it? I mean.. is
this a bug in the network configuration panel? Isn't it also problematic
that I end up with conflicting default routes? Should I be posting this
somewhere as a bug?

David.