Breezy update; toshset config; Problems with ACPI

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Aug 30 23:32:30 UTC 2005

Johannes Behr wrote:

> I just run a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on my breezy box
> and the system tries to install toshset (whatever it is)
>
> The installer stops and I get a warning popup:

> Configuring toshset
>
>   Problem with ACPI
>
>   Your kernel has ACPI enabled.
>   Unfortunaltely toshset is not fully functional on ACPI-enabled kernels
>   Enable APM only instead to geht toshset running properly.
>
> OK, what's ACPI anyway and how do I disable it without
> recompiling the kernel. I just run a standard Ubuntu-kernel.

In the first place, if you upgraded a little later in the day you'd get a
completely new version of toshset that doesn't do that...

It's completely bogus.  If you have a modern system it's going to use ACPI
and you _don't_ want to use APM.

In the second place, I'm really annoyed that "acpi-support" depends on
toshset and _any_ other hardware specific modules (there's an IBM one,
two).  At the very least they should be "recommends" but I think they
should only be "suggests".  I'll be filing a bug on this.  I want toshset
off my system, but I need acpi-support.
--
derek