reinstalled windows, how do i reconfigure grub?

Lewis Futrell silicon.vampire at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:59:47 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----

>On Saturday, August 27, 2005 8:38 PM
>Drew asked about "reinstalled windows, how do i reconfigure grub?"
>

><<hi guys... i reinstalled windows on one of the partitions of my drive,
>and now i want to reconfigure grub so that i can still use both
>operating systems. however, my machine only boots into windows now, so
>i'm kinda freaked out. how can i solve this?>>
>
><Many useful comments in several posts>
>
>Drew:
>
>Please post a summary of what you find about how to to
>get a Windows reinstallation to allow Linux to be booted.
>
>I will be faced with doing this from time to time. My solution
>is to create a couple Linux boot disks every time I change my
>system. I keep one carefully dated in my box with my will,
>car titles and other important documents, and the other on my desk.
>
>Warm Regards
>
>David Teague
>--
>Sometimes I wonder whether the world is
>being run by smart people who are putting
>us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
>                                           --Mark Twain
>Clearly, it's the imbeciles. And they really mean it.
>                                           ---DBT

I just reinstalled Windows which of course trashed GRUB.  What I did to fix
the issue was to use the Ubuntu install CD, booted with the expert option,
went through all the steps up until I hit the partitioning.  When I got
there, I told Ubuntu to NOT format the drives and gave them the proper mount
points.  After I was finished with partitioning, I skipped down to the part
where you install Grub.  Grub found the XP partition and installed itself
back to the home that it was so rudely ejected from by XP.