Open Office slow

Tom Adelstein tom.adelstein at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 13:43:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 15:14 +0200, Max Andersen wrote:
> Slabber A <14565471 at sun.ac.za> wrote:
>
> >Hi I have a 633mhz Celeron with 96mb ram 2 Hard drives Primerie(windows XP) Secondary(Ubuntu 5.04) and Open Office takes quite some time to open. Is there maybe something that I can adjust or is it just my machine that is slow.
> >

> This might help:
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8308
>
> Sincerely
> Max

Since I own the copyright to that article, I'll point out the hack.

One of the major complaints that I hear is how long it takes the
OpenOffice.org applications to launch. You can add a quickstart applet
to GNOME by installing the program ooqstart- gnome, which may help some.
However, an internal adjustment to OOo Writer can improve the entire
suite's performance.

To accomplish this, you need to start the word processor, Writer. Next,
you need to open the Tools drop-down menu and select options. Once you
open the options box, you are ready to adjust the memory and speed up
your Linux productivity suite. (see figure 3 in the article)

In the above figure, you can see that we selected the first expansion
box and then clicked Memory with our mouse. This exposed the window you
see in Figure 3. I changed the default values under the Graphics cache
for Use for OpenOffice.org and Memory per Object. I increased the first
value from 6 to 128MB. I also increased the second value from .5 to
20MB.

After clicking OK, I closed the word processor and reopened it two
times. On each occasion, the application took less time to open. Under
Ubuntu, I found that OO Writer opened in three seconds, and in Fedora it
opened in less than six seconds. Previously, it took 30 and 26 seconds,
respectively, for the word processor to launch.

NOTE: So people doubted the hack, but then others came back and said it
work absolutely.

It does work. But consider the other optimizations.