Java in Ubuntu !!!

blastus ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Aug 30 01:36:11 UTC 2005

> I think the point is that the gnu classpath is a subset of sun's java,
> not a

> branch. So if you write your app so it will run using gnu, then it will
> run

> under sun's java. So developing to gnu's java won't lock you out of any
>

> java.

As long as you are not dependent on any GPL/LGPL libraries that were
designed for Sun's runtime. What about HTMLParser, Jena, WEKA etc...? I
have used all these libraries and many more but I'm not familiar with
their internals enough to start recompiling them against GNU Classpath.
Especially with Jena and WEKA, I wouldn't even know where to start to
retrofit these to compile against GNU Classpath if they don't happen to
compile. What about platforms like JBoss?

Since it appears the bytecode GNU Classpath produces is incompatible
with the bytecode that Sun's javac produces, if I want to distribute an
application that uses other libraries, I basically need to recompile all
of them against GNU Classpath and package them up again don't I? This
really is not practical especially with libraries such as Jena and WEKA
which I have used. Not only that, it would give me a lot more headaches
for JUnit testing because then I would need to test not only my own
stuff but the libraries I have recompiled and repackaged. Do you'all
see what I'm getting at here?  ](*,)

--
blastus