Java in Ubuntu !!!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Aug 29 08:09:51 UTC 2005

> > I couldn't believe it, Ubuntu now has JAVA !
>
> NO IT DOESN'T... at some point in the past, you installed it... you just
> forgot about it, that's all

I wiped my system last week to install Breezy Colony #3, and there is no
way I went through the pain of installing it, because I haven't even
needed it. Plus, I usually install it on my home directory, and "whereis
java" returns a path in /usr.

> Ubuntu will never have Java out of the box unless Sun get their act together
> and relax the license conditions about redistribution.

So I searched in Synaptic for 'java' and it showed no less than 11 java
related packages, including one called "java-gcj-compat" which
descriptions goes like this : "Java runtime environement using GIJ".
Sounds pretty clear to me ! And this package was installed, and in
MAIN !
So, it looks like yes, Ubuntu now comes with a JRE out of the box,
thanks to GIJ not Sun.

--
Vince