Java in Ubuntu !!!

Peter Lieverdink ubuntu at cafuego.net
Mon Aug 29 08:00:31 UTC 2005

david wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 07:43 +0100, david wrote:

>>>[snip]

>>>Before anyone follows that advice and wrecks the package system, I'd
>>>like to point out the 'java-package' package, which does this in a safe
>>>manner and generates a .deb you can install.
>>>
>>>- P.
>>>

>>Please explain. I wasn't aware this was a bad method.
>>
>>nux

You copied files into /usr/lib and /usr/bin, where, if a package
containing the same filename is installed, it will generate errors.

Admittedly such a package would likely be a Java package, but there you
go regardless.

Going the generated .deb way also means you won't get missing depends,
should you install a package that requires 'sun-jre1.5' to be installed.

- Peter.