Java in Ubuntu !!!

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 07:03:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:06:05 +0200
Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:

> I just happened to be needing to test a program I have been pointed
> to. I go to the project's website and oh horror, the program is
> implemented as a java "JAR" file, no Java on Ubuntu, not free, and a
> pain to install, it will never work I give up right now.
> It says that in order to run the program you need to type at the
> command line : "java -jar <prog-name> <options...>
>
> I did that just for the sake of it, and OH-MY-GOD-IT-WORKED !!! :-OOOO
>
> I nearly fell off my chair !
> I couldn't believe it, Ubuntu now has JAVA !
>
> That is a true revolution, a big step forward for Ubuntu, in the "just
> works out of the box" dept. ! :o)
>
> It just needs a plug-in for the web browser like Firefox/Galeon etc,
> as it appeared not to be installed.
>

> Wow, at this pace, we will soon have a smooth multimedia experience as
> well ! ;-)
> Breezy+1 will probably be a hell of an Ubuntu, I am so looking forward
> to it already :o)

Yes, I thought installing Java on Ubuntu was hard.
It isn't.
Go get the self extracting bin file (current version is 1.5.0_04) and
run it. Copy the resulting folder to /usr/lib.
Symlink /usr/lib/jre1.5.0_04/bin/java to /usr/bin and the
libjavaplugin_oji.so to firefox's plugins folder and that's it, all
done.

regards

nux