Java in Ubuntu !!!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Aug 29 02:06:05 UTC 2005

I just happened to be needing to test a program I have been pointed to.
I go to the project's website and oh horror, the program is implemented
as a java "JAR" file, no Java on Ubuntu, not free, and a pain to
install, it will never work I give up right now.
It says that in order to run the program you need to type at the command
line : "java -jar <prog-name> <options...>

I did that just for the sake of it, and OH-MY-GOD-IT-WORKED !!! :-OOOO

I nearly fell off my chair !
I couldn't believe it, Ubuntu now has JAVA !

That is a true revolution, a big step forward for Ubuntu, in the "just
works out of the box" dept. ! :o)

It just needs a plug-in for the web browser like Firefox/Galeon etc, as
it appeared not to be installed.

Wow, at this pace, we will soon have a smooth multimedia experience as
well ! ;-)
Breezy+1 will probably be a hell of an Ubuntu, I am so looking forward
to it already :o)

Thanks to all the devs :-)

--
Vince, shocked, surprised, but very pleased all the same !